Thursday, February 4, 2016

Strawberry Buttercream Frosting

I have an awesome buttercream frosting that I've been using for a few years now. I can't even remember the source because I've made it enough times that I never look at the recipe I scribbled down in the beginning.  It's a simple combo of butter, sugar, and milk with different flavors added in (vanilla/cocoa powder) depending on what you're going for.


Recently I wanted to make a fruit flavored frosting and used real berries, thinking that it would work out fine...Until I had to add in 1000 more cups of sugar to get my consistency right. That pretty much ruined the flavor, so I started looking for a better way.


Enter dehydrated fruit. They have zero liquid to ruin things and they crumble up nicely into a powder. I found that Walmart has some in the dried fruit section and snagged myself some strawberry, though I was on the lookout for raspberry, and voila! I haven't tried it on cupcakes yet, but so far they've got the stamp of approval from Dillon on just graham crackers.


Strawberry Buttercream Frosting

1 c butter, cold room temperature
3-4 c powdered sugar
about 1/3 powdered strawberry (that's about how much I got from a 1 oz bag--seems small, but that's weight and since they're dehydrated, they're super light. I used our blender but a food processor or a rolling pin will do the job.
2-4 Tbsp heavy cream, or milk with do

In a stand mixer or a hand mixer, cream butter until smooth then add 3 cups powdered sugar until just incorporated. Add in the powdered strawberry to incorporate. Add 2 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk and mix until smooth.  Add more sugar or more milk depending on what consistency you need, more sugar if your frosting is too thin or more milk if it is too thick. 

Makes about 2 .5 cups. Store in the fridge for up to three weeks.

No comments :

Post a Comment

write to me, yo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...