Saturday, February 6, 2016

Raspberry Rolls

Back when I was working in an orthodontic lab, my boss would buy us pastries every Wednesday. Mostly it would be donuts, sometimes Costco muffins, and sometimes cinnamon rolls from the bakery down the street. When it was cinnamon roll day we would get regular cinnamon rolls, but also orange rolls and raspberry rolls.


It has been quite a few Wednesdays since I quit, so it's been a long time since I've had a raspberry roll! I've wanted one for quite some time and I tried out a different recipe that was okay, but then I found this one and I knew it would be good!


Raspberry Rolls
Adapted from Two Peas and their Pod

2 and 1/4 tsp dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
3 tablespoons shortening or butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4.5 cups  flour
1 cup hot water
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup softened butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1.5 cups frozen raspberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar


Add yeast to warm water. Mix and set aside for five minutes.

Mix shortening, sugar, and salt to hot water and beat. Stir in 1 cup of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture and mix until well combined. Mix in the beaten egg.

Gradually stir in the remaining flour, then knead by hand on a lightly floured surface, adding a little flour if the dough is still sticky. Knead until dough feels smooth.

Put the dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise until dough doubles in size.

Remove dough from bowl and roll out into a rectangle on a lightly floured counter. Spread dough evenly with 1/4 c softened butter. Sprinkle dough with 1/4 cup brown sugar. In a bowl, toss together the frozen raspberries, granulated sugar, and cornstarch. Sprinkle half of the raspberry mixture over the dough.

Roll up dough then cut rolls, using a piece of dental floss or thread, about two inches thick. Place rolls into a greased 9X13 baking pan.

Place rolls in a warm spot and cover, let rolls rise until doubled, about an hour. Bake rolls at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 5-7 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove pans from oven and let cool on a wire rack.

While the rolls are cooling, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar. Using electric mixer, beat until smooth. Spread frosting on rolls and serve.


4 comments :

  1. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang gurl!!! I want these. I'm going to Minnesota this weekend to visit Renton & Lisa, and I think I need to make these while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you try them?? Did you make Lisa make them? ;) They are realllllllllly gooooooood!!!

      Delete
  2. These were so delicious! I'm not a big orange roll fan, so I used to believe the only thing that should be rolled into sweet rolls was cinnamon. Until these. Plus, raspberry rolls is fun to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree, the orange ones are so so, but these ones are good!

      Delete

write to me, yo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...